Saturday, May 7, 2011

Living Intentional

My New Years resolution was to live intentional. That's kind of a hard goal to set. It's different than saying, "I'm gonna lose 20 pounds by the end of the year," or "I'm gonna read the Bible all the way through in one year." What does it mean to "Live Intentional." For me it means that everything I do needs to have a purpose. It means that I need to live life in light of eternity. My relationships with my husband, my children, my family , friends, and those I don't even know need to reflect what Christ has done in my life.
One thing I did to live intentional is I got off of Facebook. Facebook is a wonderful tool to keep people connected with one another. And, while I miss the "connection" with people, I have benefited greatly from being away from it. I was going to stay off for two weeks. Then I decided to go forty days. It's way past forty days and I don't think I'm going to get back on. Honestly, I was in bondage to it. Not just the hours I spent on it but the tug it had on my heart. I yearned for the attention that I got from comments. I needed to be "liked" by everyone. Something I have been working on is finding contentment in who I am in Christ and that is very hard for me to do when I am looking for everyone else's approval.
Another thing I am doing to live intentional is I am working on memorizing a passage that has spoken to my heart in more ways than one these past few weeks since I stumbled upon it. I would like for myself and Randy and maybe, that's a BIG maybe , even Hailey to memorize it. That's gonna take a LOT of work on my part but it would be awesome.
The passage is Colossians 3:12-17:
"SInce God chose you to be the holy people whom he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love. Love is what binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. Use his words to teach and counsel each other. Sing songs and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, let it be a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, all the while giving thanks through him to God the Father." (NLT)
Have you ever felt like a verse or passage was written SPECIFICALLY for you. Yeah, this one was written for me. It applies to pretty much every aspect of my life. My life as a believer, a mother, a wife, a friend. Anyway, the goal is for it to be written on my heart and for me to be living it out. That's how I am being intentional right now. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder for us....miss you on fb but glad I will see you face to face soon. Love you guys very much!

    ReplyDelete