Monday, April 17, 2017

Temper Tantrums

Have you ever been around a toddler having a temper tantrum. Our youngest son is in that phase of life where temper tantrums are kind of the norm. They are usually over the silliest things…like needing to say “please” to get his snack and not wanting to, or having to put his shoes on to go outside, or being told “No” for any reason. 

We have a few different ways of handling tantrums with him, but one of the things I do a lot of times is just hold him tight. He’s not the type to flail about while having a temper tantrum, but he does try to push himself as far away as he can. But I just hold him tight. 
He’s screaming. 
I’m holding him tight. 
He’s pushing away. 
I’m holding him tight. 
He’s probably cussing me out in baby language.
But I’m holding him tight. 
And eventually, 9 times out of 10, he will eventually just give up and collapse in my arms. He will sniffle and wipe his snotty nose on me and then will eventually curl up in my lap. 
The tantrums are enough to send me to the crazy house sometimes, but that snuggle after reminds me of the joy of parenting (because sometimes it’s hard to remember.)

I like to think of myself as that temper tantrum-ing toddler sometimes. I can be so demanding of my own way. I can get so upset when things do not go how I want. I’m not one to kick and scream…I got over that a long time ago…but I can have a pretty terrible attitude when people and situations don’t meet my expectations. 

But, praise God, He holds me tight. He is protective of His children. He disciplines and corrects  his children and He knows what is best for them.
When I’m trying to run 
He holds me tight.
When I’m angry and pull away from Him
He holds me tight.
When I feel lost and confused
He holds me tight.

And when I’m ready to surrender…when I have no fight left in me…He holds me tight. He never left. He was there holding me the whole time…just waiting for me to let go of me and lean into HIm.

No comments:

Post a Comment