Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birds, Weeds, and Double Fist Pumps...

Things God has taught me lately...

1. He cares about the little things. We had a bird build a nest in our hanging basket on the front porch and then lay an egg in it. We waited in anticipation for the egg to hatch and then it finally did a couple of weeks ago. Two days ago we were getting ready to leave and I saw the mommy bird limping about on the ground. Randy put some gloves on and checked it out. It was very hurt and there was nothing we could do. (He wanted to snap its neck to put it out of its misery but I couldn't handle that.) I literally fretted over that baby bird for the rest of the night. I couldn't help but think about how it was going to die without it's mom to bring it food. I checked in on the baby bird yesterday and it was still there. Last night as I was laying in bed, I felt kind of silly for doing it but I prayed for the baby bird. I prayed, "God, I feel silly for asking this but I know you care about even the smallest of animals. And I ask that you take care of that little bird." I went and checked on the bird today, pretty much expecting it to be dead in its nest and it was gone. Now I could assume that it fell out (although I did check the ground and there was no sign of it) but I really believe that God protected that baby bird and it flew away. Jesus says in Matthew 6 "Look at the birds. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your Heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are." I believe God took care of that little bird and I believe that He is concerned about the little things in my life and in yours.

2. Pulling weeds isn't just for the garden. I have too many weeds in my life. Isn't it funny how we like weeds. Not the kind that you pull out of the garden (those kind are a real pain!), but the kind that grow in your soul and eat away at the good things in your life. I know the saying, "Sin is fun for a season." And it's so true but I just don't understand why. Why is it "fun" to wallow in our jealousy and bitterness and self-pity. God has been showing me through my husband and encouragement from friends and especially from his Word that I need to weed the garden. I need to rip out and burn these things that eat away at my soul. They bring no glory to God. And that is what my life is for: to bring glory to God and to lead others to HIm. And after a serious purging of weeds, I need to plant sweet seeds of God's Word into my heart. I will still have weeds pop up from time to time, but since I know so well what the real plant is (the voice of the Holy Spirit) I will notice the weed much quicker and be able to rid myself of it. I am so thankful that God has given me His Word to comfort and direct me.This verse has been lodged in my brain for the past couple of months: "Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of malicious behavior. instead, be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ Jesus has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:31-32.

3. He has overcome this world. John 16:33...AMAZING. "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trials and sorrows. But take heart; I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD." (insert big double fist pump!) No matter what I am going through. No matter what you are going through. HE has already overcome it. You can find peace in Him. And He is the only one who can give true peace. This verse has been brought up from random people over the past several weeks just reaffirming to me that He has overcome this world and that He is in control and that there is peace in Him. " I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trails and sorrows. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment