Sunday, August 4, 2013

Rudder!...

Our community group this past year was a pretty close group. Close...and talkative. Through the course of the year, we came up with a system for bringing us back into focus or bringing us back to the topic at hand when we would inevitably hop on the rabbit trail. I cannot remember this signal's origin, but whenever we veered too far off the main track someone would put their hand vertically on their forehead as if splitting it in half and say, "RUDDER!" This, of course, symbolized a ship's rudder and how the rudder is what keeps the ship going in the right direction. We used this signal many, many times.

As I was having my quiet time this morning, I was just thanking God for how He has always provided for us and was asking Him to give our family direction and I felt Him whisper to me,

"Let me be the rudder of your heart." 

I love the Psalms and I have been reading through them lately and time and time again God has told me through His Word that He is our hope. That He gives direction to those who follow Him.

"Psalm 39:7 "And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you."

Psalm 37:23-24 "The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights (He DELIGHTS!) in every detail of our lives. Though they stumble, they will not fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand."
 (When I read this verse, I envision Jaidyn toddling around. She is doing well walking, but she still gets off balance and ahead of herself sometimes so I hold her hand, and that keeps her from falling over when she stumbles.)


Psalm 32: 7-8 "For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory. The Lord says, 'I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.'"

Psalm 37:4-5 "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him and He will help you."  
(A good friend of ours explained this passage that God does not give us everything our heart desires, but rather He changes our heart so that it matches His desires. So that He literally gives us our heart's desires.)


What comfort we have in knowing that He delights in the details...in the small things...and big things in our lives. He cares for us, and if we allow Him to direct us...allow Him to be our rudder...we need not worry about what tomorrow holds. So when my heart gets anxious. When I find myself on the rabbit trails of fear and doubt and confusion, I can mentally, and sometimes if necessary...physically, put my hand on my forehead and shout, "RUDDER!"

No comments:

Post a Comment